The Issues - Resources
SHORT HISTORIES AVAILABLE ONLINE:
- DelNATO history sheet: 2 pages. Early History of the Israel/Palestine Conflict.
- Blog article: The Arab-Israeli Conflict: Too Complicated for Our Beautiful Minds.
- Video: Israel & Palestine: A very Short Introduction. 6 minutes, created by Jewish Voice for Peace.
- Video: Palestine for Beginners Part I: Roots of Conflict. 25 minutes, created by Palestine Information Project.
VIDEOS ON ISSUES (most are short):
- Criticism of Israel is Not Anti-semitism. 2.3 minutes, Omar Baddar, 6/22/17. "The injustice of Israel’s occupation of Palestine is so glaring that it is difficult for its supporters to defend it, so they tend to opt for suppressing the voices exposing it."
- 3 Myths About Israeli Settlements. 4 minutes, Omar Baddar, 1/2/17. Refers to UNSC Resolution 2334 reaffirming the illegality of Israeli settlements, passed 12/23/16 14-0 with the U.S. abstaining.
- Apartheid Adventures: Ethnic Privilege at Affordable Prices. 2 minutes, 2/23/16. Created after Oscar nominees were offered free trip to Israel.
- Wake Up and Smell the Apartheid. (Hebrew with subtitles). 5.5 minutes, 3/1/17. Monologue by Israeli comedy show host Assaf Harel in his series finale on Israel's channel 10.
- This Land is Mine. https://vimeo.com/50531435. 3.5 minutes, by Nina Paley, 2012. A brief cartoon history of the land called Israel/Palestine/Canaan/the Levant. Guide to historical cartoon characters in
"Who's-killing-who viewer's guide": blog.ninapaley.com/2012/10/01/this-land-is-mine/
- This is Palestine. 50 minutes, 2017. Narrated by Riverdance founder John McColgan.
PRIMARY SOURCES AVAILABLE ONLINE:
Memos of the U.S. State Department in Foreign Relations of the United States (FRUS), the official documentary record of major U.S. foreign policy decisions;
- 1949 memos on Israel/Palestine: FRUS 1949, volume 6
- 1948 memos on Israel/Palestine: FRUS 1948, volume 5, part 2
- 1947 memos on Israel/Palestine: FRUS 1947, volume 5
UN reports, interviews, meeting minutes, and voting statements 1947-1949 from UN actions on Israel/Palestine; click on year, then month, then document number; documents are listed chronologically under month.
A Survey of Palestine, prepared by the British Mandatory Government of Palestine between December 1945 and January 1946, for the Anglo-American Committee of Inquiry; the report includes data tables showing land ownership and crops produced.
British and U.S. commission reports on Palestine:
- 1919: The King-Crane Commission Report on Palestine, written in 1919 for President Woodrow Wilson.
- 1920: The Palin Report on Palestine, examining the rioting in Jerusalem between April 4th and 7th 1920.
- 1921: The Haycraft Commission Report on the Palestine disturbances in May 1921.
- 1929: The Shaw Commission Report on the Palestine disturbances of August 1929.
- 1930: The Hope Simpson Report on immigration, land settlement and development in Palestine, October 1930.
SELECTED BOOKS AVAILABLE IN THE DELAWARE LIBRARY SYSTEM:
These books are histories of the creation of the state of Israel. They were written by Jewish Israeli historians.
- Simha Flapan, The Birth of Israel: Myths and Realities, 1987.
- Benny Morris, Righteous Victims: a History of the Zionist-Arab Conflict 1881-1999, 1st ed. 1999.
- Benny Morris, The Birth of the Palestinian Refugee Problem Revisited, 2nd ed. 2004.
- Ilan Pappe, The Ethnic Cleansing of Palestine, 2007.
- Avi Shlaim, The Iron Wall, 2000.